Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Bullies

Have you ever been bullied? I have. The bulling started when my family came to Virginia. I was in the 4th grade and Î was teased for "talking white".
As time went on, I was teased for dressing white and being goofy. I was teased for not being able to hang out with the cool kids and being chubby.

I dumbed down and tried to fit in.  Fast forward to college. I lost weight and made friends. I excelled in school and got boyfriends. I was selected to be a member of Delta Sigma Theta. The pledge period was one of the worst times of my life. I was bullied viciously. They attempted to break my spirit and my will. I made it through. I became a DELTA.  At that point in my life, I had never experienced adulation. It was wild and then respect. Offers of friendship from the very women who bullied me....not. 

I made life long friends and moved on to adult hood. I obtained a great gig and was overwhelmed and bullied by my boss and subordinate.

My self esteem was shot. I remained under employed and took no risk. I obtained  a masters and certifications. I started a business and became engaged in the community. Slowly my self esteem rose. I excelled. Then, I obtained  a job that I could not master. Over and over, I tried. I felt bullied by management. My self esteem crumbled. I eventually was fired. For a moment, I was lost. Lost.

I pulled myself together. I refuse to allow bullies or bullying to steal my self esteem  or devalue my worth.

Funny thing the women that bullied or teased me, we are now friendly. I am now considered  a role model, someone to emulate.who...knew.

Hurt people, hurt people. We all have the potential to bully; we must resist this compulsion. Simply because our words may be the very weapon to send someone over the edge.


Vick the Communication Diva 

Www.opndoor.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment