Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tolerance and acceptance

Yesterday, Bruce Jenner revealed Catlin Jenner.  Bruce is transgendered and has decided to live in his truth. Yesterday, the play cousin and his friends engaged in discourse about tolerance.

tol·er·ance [tol-er-uh ns] Show IPA

— noun

a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.

I never thought it was a bad word, however the play cousin and friends opened my mind to a different view. They shared indifference and lack of willingness to evolve and grow. I had to think about it, am I indifferent when I tolerate folks who so not share my values or beliefs. Hmmmmmm.  This thread,encouraged me to twist the prism for real and in real-time.
Their passion opened my eyes to another view.

I still tolerate folks. I don't have to like or love you. You do not have to share my views. You dont have to like or love me. I want you to respect me, but if you don't, I get that to.

As an alternative dispute resolution professional, sometimes all I can get folks to do is tolerate each other. Respect isn't even in the picture and like/love isn't even in the cards.

Tolerance and the courage to set boundaries is sometimes the only tools in the box.

I am proud of Catlin Jenner. I am proud that she is living her life in truth and liberty. It takes courage to be open in this new word. A word comprised of internet courage and keyboard bullies, who will not hesitate to viciously tear a person apart.

A lot of folks don't understand her need to no longer be a him.
I hope folks can respect his choice, if not tolerate his moves and fix your own backyard,  there is nothing broken here.

Vick the Communication Diva
Www.opndoor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment