Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

My mountain, your molehill

A few days ago, I participated in a training on trauma informed care.
I learned that violent and inappropriate behavior is often linked to some type of trauma. What is important to know is that trauma can manifest it's self in many forms.
Normally, when one thinks of trauma;  we think of abuse or a violent event. What I learned is that a traumatic event is WHAT ever you determine impacts you in a detrimental manner.

Last week, I had forgotten to check my mailbox.  I went to the main post office and the postman laid me out.  He lectured me. I was aghast and felt stupid.
Then this week, I did it again! I was so embarrassed.  I asked my husband to get the mail. He was too busy. I had to go. I started to have anxiety.  I walked to the counter and broke down in tears. Bubbling, catch your breath, ugly face tears. I just couldn't face that dude again. Thank fully an understanding postal worker helped me. He apologized and I got myself together.
I came home and eventually told my hubby.  He was like why would you let a man upset you so bad. He wouldn't discuss it with me. Fine but I know why, I got so upset. I hate to make mistakes.  I hate to repeat mistakes, especially simple ones. I hate to be fussed at. It hurts when I cannot reply or respond.  You just cannot act out or raise your voice in a post office, it's a federal offense.
My daddy used to say what is a mole hill to someone is a mountain to someone else. You never know someone's journey. Before, you assume their actions are impulsive, their actions may simply because of some traumatic event in the past.
The Adventures of Vick the Communication Diva
http://beta.samhsa.gov/nctic/trauma-interventions

No comments:

Post a Comment