Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cancer. Survivorship. Cancer. Sucks rocks. I am a Survivor and an Annhiliator......

Today is June 1, 2014. June 1st is National Cancer Survivor Day.

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on 2/26/08. My world was forever changed.
Cancer sucks. It is not fun and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Once you are diagnosed, you are forever known as the person with  cancer. Some folks can handle that moniker, some cannot. I can.

When, I was diagnosed, I immediately named myself-Vick the Breast Cancer Annihilator. Reason being, is that I wanted to destroy cancer. I have survived lots of stuff. A fire, my daddy's death, bad jobs, bad friends and bad love affairs. I could not just survive this. I had to take control of this. I had to destroy this.....cancer.

Since, the day of my diagnosis; I have experienced 5 or 6 surgeries, 6 rounds of chemo, chemo brain, chemo induced menopause, chemo induced neuropathy, depression, sexual issues, the death of my mother, the loss of my job and an internal struggle to stay strong for ME. I live with the possibility that cancer can come back and come back with a vengeance. Every death from cancer , especially Breast Cancer....frightens me. It truly does.

I am very thankful for my family, friends, sister girls, sorors, my dog Bootsy and my Husband, Terry. Thankful for their unwavering support. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me.  I really don't. I also do not want anyone to dismiss the seriousness of the side effects that cancer survivors experience. I really don't. Do not placate me, when I complain. I need to vent. Do not say that you are sorry, it is not necessary, I just need you to listen. I did not ask for breast cancer. I did nothing to receive this deadly diagnosis. I do however choose to accept my fate and fight it with all that I can. I am a child of God. I am Ray C. and Bobbie Jean Williams' baby girl. I am Mike, Jeff and Kenny's Baby Sister. I am Terry's Wife.  I am a fighter. I am a cancer annihilator.

I choose to survive, and to fight another day
 
.










 Breast Cancer






No comments:

Post a Comment