Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Courage when you stumble, Forgiveness when you Fall and Courage to succeed despite the odds.

I stumble a lot. I am so far from perfect.
I am a planner. I plan everything, I even plan my plans...giggle.

Well, I had an opportunity and the opportunity was removed. I was disappointed and disjointed.

I felt off. I had nothing planned. It interrupted my flow and my day.

Then, I learned that Maya Angelou passed. Maya Angelou was a great writer and orator.

Her words could move the dead. She was from Arkansas as was my Mama. She favored Mama's people. She was strong like Mama and those women from Arkansas. Women born in the depression. These women were renaissance women. They rolled with the punches. They recreated themselves over and over again. They were truthful. They fell, stumbled and fell again.

The difference is they had to courage to stumble and they forgave themselves when they fell.

Yesterday evening, I spoke to a woman about partnering about working in restorative justice. I had met her before. She kind of remembered me. Her voice was haughty and not welcoming to me. She seemed to only call me because her mentor advised her to. I did not feel good about conversing with her and felt as if I was attempting to justify my existence, my experience to her. I did not like it. The tone made me feel as if I had not done enough to justify my way, my view, my foot into the restorative justice field.

Then I thought about my Mama and Dr. Angelou. Two women from small towns in Arkansas. Two women with no formal education. Two women who reinvented themselves and spoke their truths. One woman the world knew and one woman who was my world. Both women epitomized courage when they stumbled and both women forgave themselves when they fell.

Both Women showed me that I may stumble and even FALL FLAT ON MY FACE! I may not even have the strength to dust myself off, but I damn sure will have the strength to press on!!

God bless you,  Dr. Angelou. God bless you, Bobbie Jean-Mommy. Thank you!

The Adventures of Vick the Communication Diva.





No comments:

Post a Comment