Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Being sick..being a caretaker. .being a good friend

I have been sick a lot. Especially since I had breast cancer. I was not the best patient as I did not always communicate what I needed from others.

People want the best for you...they really do. People want to protect you they really do. We as patients want to be as normal as possible,  we really really do.

It is difficult to see a loved one in pain or being sick. You want to make it easy for them, you want them to get well and you will do anything to accomplish this.

Not only was I a patient, I was a caretaker for my dad and mom. I am the person you want in the room. I protect. Advocate. Question. What I have had to learn is I need to also fall back and temper my big personality.  As a patient and caretaker. ..I know the difference and at times I need to fall back.  

Caretaking is a mixed bag..you want to empower the patient and allow them to have what they want and allow them to make the choice that they want. You also want to make sure they make the correct choices so that they will get well.

You can't do both. Balance is important.  Respect is critical.  Boundaries are crucial. know you are not always going to be right or do the right thing. Just communicate your views and learn your role and you will get through this...
The Adventures of Vick the Communication Diva
Www.opndoor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment