Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

Catastrophic loss, can you recover?

Have you ever experienced a catastrophic loss? I have. What is a catastrophic loss? It can take many forms. Here are a few examples: loss of a job, loss of a parent,  loss of a sibling, loss of a child, loss of a niece or nephew, loss of a marriage,  loss of a home and yes even the loss of a pet.

I have experienced many of these catastrophic events. Each affected me painfully but differently. The loss of my best friend forced me to face death. The death of my father forced me into adulthood. The end of my long term relationship forced me to reinvent myself. 

The death of my mother rocked me to my core. I was lost. I had no compass. I made many mistakes. I questioned God and cursed Him. Then I experienced losses of women who were instrumental in my woman hood. Boom bam. I was shook.

I regained my footing and then I lost my job. Well ,just damn. How do I recover? 
I was in shock. I was. I was scared. A 20 year career gone. I tried to think.

Losses impact you mentally, physically and emotionally. You should grieve a loss. No one can tell you how and how long to grieve. Movement is helpful.  Moving your body and your mind. Listening to music helped soothe my soul and troubled spirit. Starting new projects get you out the house. Volunteer.  Helping someone while you are hurting helps too. Talk to someone who will JUST listen. Sometimes you just need to talk and when you are ready for advice, guidance, counseling. .reach out. Most importantly know that you are never alone.

You can recover from a catastrophic loss. You will just need to forge your own path. It will be hard and some days you will think that you cannot go on, but you will. Why because you are valuable and your existence Is necessary. Recovering from a catastrophic loss will be the most painful and necessary event in your life and you WILL find that you are strong & resilient.

The Adventures of Vick the Communication Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment