Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014

My Breast Cancer Journey

In honor of Breast Cancer Month, I am going to take you on my journey. My Breast Cancer Experience!! Breast Cancer is not pink and fuzzy. It is overwhelming and painful. It changes you tremendously. It can strengthen you or frighten you to your very core.

No one's experience is the same. Everyone does not react the same. It is ok to be scared and wonderful to be brave. Six years ago on 2/26/20008, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. In June, I started a blog titled: Vick the Breast Cancer Annihilator. I chose to be called an annihilator, because I was hell bent on destroying this beast. I chose not to identify as a survivor, because I already was a survivor-I had survived a fire, my father's death, home invasion, my best friend's death....I can go on and on. This was different...this was MY life or death. I had to face it differently.

So, ladies in gentlemen, I will share my journey and I want you to know that the power of communication and dispute resolution is woven throughout....

Here we go..................

Last summer (2007), I felt a knot on my right breast. I felt the knot around the time that I was planning to schedule my mammogram. I was a little concerned as my mom has fibrocystic breast and my maternal and paternal aunts had breast cancer.

I contacted the diagnostic center to make an appointment. Even told them I had a lump ......just to try to get them to do the diagnostic mammogram instead of the regular one. To no avail....the regular one was done. Although, they did take extra time to check it out. ***Please note, I did not get an abnormal reading****So I kind of moved on and I kind of didn't.

Fast forward to December, I tell my fiancé' Terry(T)...hey the lump is still there. He tried to feel it and he could not identify the lump, knot, bump, thinggy there. I was still drawn to it. Like a magnet. My finger always, I mean always went back to it. Everyday, sometimes 3, 4 times a day.

I again made life plans as normal. I went to Chicago for the holidays. Spent New Years with Terry, Bootsy and champagne. Did my thang. Come January, I decided that this knot is bothering me tooooooo much, I need to do something about it. I called the diagnostic center again, they said I need to call my primary care doctor. So I did. I made an appointment for the end of January. Than my aunt died.

I flew with my mom to Arkansas to attend the funeral. My mother had been very ill over the last year and was uncomfortable with her traveling by herself.

I than had to reschedule my appointment.

Life again  interrupts and my mother becomes very ill, she now must go on dialysis to save her life. This crisis takes top priority. I do not get my diagnostic mammogram until 2/14/08.

Terry goes with me. What a way to spend Valentines day!

We speak to the radiologist that afternoon and he says we have choices. WE can watch and wait, we can have a needle guided biopsy, we can have a surgical biopsy. He stated it doesn't really look like cancer. Terry, looked at the films and says but it doesn't look right. Can we do a biopsy today? My doctor says nope we cannot. Terry and I make an appointment for the following Thursday for a needle guided biopsy. ****Little do I know the significance of Thursdays*****

I made the appointment, I than called my primary care to advise them of my choice. My nurse advised that normally they recommend a surgical biopsy, I hear you, but I wanted the needle guided biopsy....I had the appointment....I wanted the procedure. She concurred and all the appropriate paper work was in place.

Needle Guide Biopsy
The Adventures of Vick the Communication Diva
www.opndoor.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment