Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 4, 2014

The day that I was told....I have Cancer, Breast CANCER


Feb 26, 2008-D-DAY

T and I go to the diagnostic center. We sit in the waiting room. We wait for the radiologist. He and his nurse come in and they do not look happy. He says to us, I am sorry, it was malignant. You have breast cancer.

I heard CANCER! T heard CANCER......could be death! I was like OK....now what. Really, I said ok now what. They were so surprised. I was calm, angry, hyper, pissed off all at once. I thought how Cancer dare invade our lives. How dare you tell ME....I have breast cancer? Man, I was hot. Really hot about it.

T was crushed. All he could think about was the woman he loved was ill. He pulled his head back and put his hands on his head and cried. He was so upset. I became angrier. The doctor and nurse said to me, we are going to get the nurse navigator. I was like ok, let me get him and me together and then let’s get a plan of action together.

Then came our Nurse Navigator-Yvonne Pike-! U have probably heard of a nurse navigator by now, if you have not. Click on the link above and it will tell you all about it.

Yvonne Pike in her role as the nurse navigator, is there to guide , uplift, counsel assist you in anything you need to get through this Breast Cancer S*&T. Period and baby she does her job well.

Yvonne came back in and talked to us about the type of cancer I was diagnosed with. Invasive ductal carcinoma. She explained to us the size, the treatment options, she gave us facts as she knew them. She gave us support. She gave us guidance.

I than said to her. I need the best surgeon and the quickest appointment ASAP. WE need to get this thing moving. She said I can make a call. I said let’s get to stepping...let’s make it do what it DO!

She left and then I said, I got to call my brother, Jeff. I called Jeff and told him and he was like what? I was like I got breast cancer.

It was surreal, almost a dream and not quite a nightmare.

I thought I have Cancer. Like my dad. Different type, but cancer and my daddy died of cancer. Now at this moment I only knew what type of cancer, I did not know the stages. I did not know if it had spread to my lymph nodes. I only knew I had breast cancer and its type.

Now I and T start the journey.....of the doctor’s appointment, surgeries and the significance of Thursdays.......
The Adventures of Vick the Communication Diva
 

No comments:

Post a Comment